Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The bad side of leaks.
I'd like to post my thoughts on the recent leaks, not actually the content within them but the affect it has on message boards and other kinds of communities. Every time a situation like this happens our communities get flooded by users from other sites, I always browse /vp/ among other boards so I noticed it happened instantly, a bunch of normies start screenshotting and sharing it all over large social media platforms, bringing more users to our sites. Now, I'm aware that Pokemon is one of, if not the most popular series to exist but that doesn't mean our communities are, that doesn't mean more obscure discussions about prototype / beta content or mysteries relating to our series are talked about greatly, there's a disconnect between us and outsiders who are not gatekept, you can see it when someone posts NSFW art, animations, writings and so on, the virtue signalers come out to talk about how fictional animals and characters are real like insane lunatics, calling everyone zoophiles.

This is pretty funny considering these same normies have been spouting the Vaporeon copypasta for years now, aside from that they aren't interested in our communities but join them anyway and try to insert themselves into conversations they know nothing about, they'll come into a thread about theories regarding certain aspects of the lore and absolutely trash said thread. Situations like this is similar to what 4chan turned into during and after 2016, it's sad. Thankfully most of them don't stay. I have been seeing many comments on the leak itself, discussions regarding the Pokemon mythology notes, posting Typhlosion memes despite the amount of interesting, mystery solving content within the leak, there's zoom zooms and millennials insulting GameFreak for writing such a thing when similar stuff already exists in the games, the Canalave library in DPPt and the lady and her Mightyena in Colosseum come to mind. They don't care about these games or their stories, lore, or their development, they come in for a laugh or to act like posers and to try to change things like specific forum culture.

I'm all for having fun and posting jokes but come on, the shift in the culture of our communities before and after is very visible. Look at how internet culture as a whole changed over time due to everyone having more access to it. By the way, type in "Typhlosion" and see how many news articles there are already and tell me there's not a problem, look at the way they are titled as well, they don't even make any sense.