Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Refining your game can be bad.
I made a post on Twitter / X yesterday and it's something I wanted to elaborate on, the post I made was about RS2.

"I really dislike the direction they went in later years with RS2, the old textures are really iconic. The game felt more moody, mystical and unclean before the graphical updates. You can definitely refine a game too much, just my thoughts anyway."

I feel as though developers need to understand when they hit a sweet spot for their art style, aesthetic, graphics what have you, it's something I am also careful of. If you create a game and release it, the art style is set in stone, when it comes to online games developers like to always try to outdo themselves or in other cases the company gets disrespectful employees who desire to ruin the original vision. The original graphics may look bad as time passes but that is what made them unique, it's what gives the game charm, if you try to clean textures to where there's no artifacts or blemishes it will look too polished like everything is the same color, it will look dull. If you are making a game I hope you admire what you create, it may already be perfect.